"60% of network downtime is caused by human error during device configuration..."
... according to market research firm Enterprise Management Associates. There are just too many devices to manage and too many changes to make to those devices on a regular basis in enterprise environments to rely on manual, error-prone, one-at-a-time processes.
IT staffs need to automate common configuration management tasks, reducing downtime by eliminating common errors introduced by the manual execution of tasks like OS upgrades, password updates, and all-important device configuration changes.
If a configuration change fails, Uplogix Local Managers immediately roll the device back to the last known good configuration using its unique SurgicalRollback™ feature, minimizing downtime that is impossible to avoid using in-band-only software solutions. This process restores the device to working order without affecting other device operations. Uplogix locally stores multiple configurations for each device under management to enable this powerful feature.
Key Configuration Management Capabilities
- Lower operational burdens and costs by reliably automating hundreds of tedious, error prone routine change and configuration management tasks that typically require an on-site technician, freeing technical resources for more advanced activities. Uplogix enforces consistent operations by ensuring that change and configuration management tasks are done the right way, every time, minimizing human error and protecting availability.
- Decrease the administrative complexity created by heterogeneous network infrastructures by providing a single consistent management interface. Uplogix provides tailored drivers for most popular network devices that can perform an array of common monitoring and configuration tasks on demand, issuing commands and reading CLI prompts and responses in a syntax specific to a given device.
- Reduce unplanned downtime by providing a built-in safety net with SurgicalRollback™ to quickly recover and minimize the impact of failed configuration changes. Surgical Rollback™ combines fine grained configuration differencing with a unique “production confirmation” based approach to changes. Any change made is followed by a prompt for confirmation by the technician initiating the change. If no confirmation is received (e.g. if the change brought down the network and the technician’s access with it), the change is precisely rolled back. Secure out-of-band remote access also provides for corrective action even if the network is unavailable for other reasons or if this method is preferred.
- Enable reliable enterprise-wide execution of configuration changes with a few clicks via the Uplogix Control Center's simple, web-based interface. Common change management tasks, such as distributing patches or password resets, can be scheduled and consistently executed across the entire distributed infrastructure.
- Integrate with and complement existing enterprise management systems. Uplogix is integrated with an array of centralized monitoring systems and consoles. Uplogix also allows for the full realization of the potential of your NCCM systems by providing local control and automation capabilities, regardless of network availability so that they can be used with confidence to execute changes.